search collection
browse collection

Complete Archive


Title
Description
Date

A collection of glass lantern slides belonging to Sir William John Thompson, the majority created [for him] by Thomas Holmes Mason. The slides are statistical in nature, dealing with Irish censuses, birth and marriage rates, and diseases frequency and mortality rates. The slides were probably produced to illustrate talks given by Thompson, either as Registrar General for Ireland or to the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland. Thompson presented a number of papers to this society, between 1911 and 1926, on the Irish Censuses and on mortality rates in Ireland.

[1910s-1920s]

19th-20th century

Barres, Jean-Baptiste, Memoirs of a Napoleonic officer Jean-Baptiste Barres (London, 1925). Junot, Laure, Duchess d'Abrantes, Memoirs of Napoleon, his court and family (London, 1836). O'Meara, Barry Edward, Napoleon in exile; or, a voice from St Helena (London, 1822). Richardson, Hubert N B, A dictionary of Napoleon and his time (London, 1920). Scott, Sir Walter, The life of Napoleon Buonaparte, emperor of the French with a preliminary view of the French revolution (Edinburgh, 1827). Wilson, Robert McNair, Napoleon: the man (London, 1927).

Collection of documents and slides mainly relating to Ephraim MacDowel Cosgrave's medical education and time as Professor of Biology in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Collection also includes Cosgrave's certificate and insignia as a Knight of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, and his portrait.

1875-1916

This collection represents three generations from the Kirker family of the Casino in Malahide. Gilbert Kirker (1853-1903), his grandson John Gilbert Kirker (1922-2011), and his great-grandson and John's son, Stephen Kirker (b.1961). Gilbert Kirker series contains four files of documentation and objects. The documentation and objects present reflect his service during the Russo-Turkish War and his medical Royal Navy career for the period 1877-1903. John G Kirker series contains seven subseries and three files. The documentation is arranged as, medical training (1948-1949), career (1952-2011), patient records ([1950]-2000), personal (1935-1998), photographs (1949-2012), publications (1964-2011), newspaper clippings (1978-2000), artwork (1940-1977), slides (c.1948-2000), and objects (1950-2011). Patient records are closed with an opening date of 2035-2077. Stephen Kirker's series is small, containing seven documents relating to his research for the period 1985-2000.

1850-2011

The Royal Hospital Donnybrook collection is a large collection of administrative, financial, patient, staff and property records ranging in date from 1771 until 2001. There is also a smaller selection of records related to the hospital’s history, ephemera and some objects including the hospital’s seal matrix. Unfortunately, records do not exist from its foundation in 1743; the earliest record is a minute book of the board of governors dating from 1771. The collection contains a substantive set of administrative records spanning over 220 years of the hospital’s existence between 1771 and 1993. These records include: - a complete run of board of governors’ minute books from 1771 until 1972; - a complete run of managing committee’ minute books 1897 until 1986; - annual reports from 1858 until 1887 (with the exception of years 1861 and 1862); - a complete run of visiting committee’ minute books from 1876 until 1983; - the minutes of various sub committees including an income and expenditure committee, building committee, patient welfare and a ‘Friends of the hospital’ committee. The administrative section also includes a large run of rough minute books which cover both meetings of the board of governors and the managing committee from 1853 until 1936. These books are also accompanied by detailed agenda books beginning in 1872 and continuing until 1975. These records, together with the formal minutes of the board of governors, the managing committee and others in existence in the collection, are a rich resource in terms of understanding the day-to-day work of the hospital and moreover, how it survived and flourished over such extended periods of time. This section also includes various legal records documenting the evolution of the hospital’s governance structures such as its governing charters, bye-laws and regulations. It includes the original supplemental charter granted to the hospital by Queen Victoria in 1886 together with its wax seal. A comprehensive range of reports from visiting governors, medical officers, the housekeeper, and the lady superintendent are also extant. The section is complemented by a myriad of administrative correspondence from and to a range of parties relating to the running of the hospital. It includes letter books from the hospital registrar from 1883 until 1943 (with a gap of five years from 1932 until 1937). The finance section contains a large amount of typical financial records such as a run of minute books of the finance committee from 1881 until 1997, as well as accounting records spanning a period from 1799 until 1974. This section also contains a large amount of records documenting subscriptions and bequests made to the hospital in the form of register books of subscribers and testators. In addition to these books, this section contains a large amount of individual testator files recording bequests made to the hospital. The section also contains a run of order books of hospital supplies, as well as records relating to pay and employment, fundraising and the hospital’s stock investments. Surviving patient records include candidate (people seeking admission to the hospital) and admission registers from 1797 until 1986. The admission registers differ in format and coherency, however between the oldest surviving register of patients admitted between 1797 and 1928, and a second register, a record of patients admitted exists until 1964. Additional notebooks record patients admitted until 1986. In addition to these records, an eclectic mix of records have survived reflecting both how patients were cared for in the hospital in the form of diet and clothing order books, as well as how discipline was upheld, most evident in a ‘defaulters book’ which records patient ‘misbehaviour’ and the consequences agreed by the board. Of note in this section is a large collection of hospital application forms from individuals seeking admission to the hospital dating from the mid 1800s. Records contained in the staff section of the collection are less coherent in terms of providing a concise set of employment records for any one period in the hospital’s history. A mix of records across different time periods have survived, including job application forms, appointment, and resignation letters from the late nineteenth to late twentieth centuries. There is also a small amount of nursing employment and enrolment registers from 1958 until 1986. The smallest portion of records in the collection, the hospital history and culture section, contains newspaper clippings, ephemera including hospital newsletters, hospital notices, and a small number of photographs. Notable is a collection of nearly 100 years of newspaper clippings stored in four scrapbooks, some of which include reports on key milestones in the hospital’s history and photographs. The latter, together with a disparate mix of surviving files relating to historical events at the hospital, enrich the collection and provide an insight in to the hospital’s perception in wider society. The final section contains a large collection of property records relating to the hospital campus itself and the many properties and/or property rights the hospital inherited from bequests or via purchase. Records include deeds of assignment, lease agreements, property valuations, building specifications, estimates and maps. Records relating to properties bequeathed to the hospital contain many historical deeds of assignment, the earliest dating from 1768. These property transactions are complemented by a large amount of legal correspondence from the hospital’s legal representatives.

1771-2001

This collection is divided into eight series which covers seven different members of the FitzGerald family; Dr John F FitzGerald (unknown), Alexis FitzGerald (1831-1878), James F FitzGerald (c.1838-1872), Alexis FitzGerald (1874-1954), Oliver Patrick Noél Alexis FitzGerald (1910-1987), Gerald Michael FitzGerald (1913-1945) and Professor Oliver FitzGerald (c.1956-). The collection contains documents such as medical certificates, photographs, ledgers, log books, letters, books and medical objects. The documentation give a brief but detailed overview of the family's medical achievements. The large collection of books c.34 in total, is a mixture of books acquired and collected by the FitzGerald family. They are all catalogued and available via the Library.

1810-2008

Thomas Percy Claude Kirkpatrick was born on 10 September 1869 the second son of John Rutherford Kirkpatrick (c.1832-1889), a leading practitioner and professor of midwifery. Kirkpatrick was educated at Foyle College in Derry before taking a first in history from Trinity College Dublin (1891) and graduating MB and MD in 1895. Kirkpatrick was anaesthetist to Dr Steevens' Hospital, then visiting physicians to the same hospital as well as to the Westmoreland Lock Hospital. As well as anaesthetics Kirkpatrick was interested in venereal diseases, establishing a special clinic at Steevens' and publishing on the subject. Kirkpatrick was admitted as a Member of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland in 1903, and elected a Fellow the following year. From 1910 to 1954 he served as the College's Registrar, and was secretary of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland for almost as long. Aside from his medical career Kirkpatrick was a prolific author on the history of his profession. His three major works, histories of the medical school at Trinity College Dublin, the Rotunda and Dr Steevens' Hospitals, were published in 1912, 1913 and 1924 respectivley. He also wrote numerous pamphlets and articles on Irish hospitals, Irish medical men and other historical topics. Kirkpatrick was president of the Irish Historical Society (1948-1951), the Royal Irish Academy (1946-1949) and was a member and president of the Friendly Brothers' Club. Kirkpatrick lived at 11 Fitzwilliam Place, with his unmarried sister Sibyl. He died on 10 July 1954 in Dr Steevens' Hospital and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetary. A Note on Names - Kirkpatrick was generally known as Percy or 'Kirk' by his friends and contemporaries. Due to his membership of the Friendly Brothers' Club he was addressed by his fellow members as Brother or Brother Kirk, and while he was president as 'Your Grand Benevolence' of 'Sir John Friendly'. All of these names can be found within the collection, especially within the correspondence section. For clarity throughout this list he will be referred to as Kirkpatrick, and other male members of his family will be referred to by their full names.

[Late seventeenth century] - 1954

The cartoons in this collection relate to public health concerns in Dublin and/or Sir Charles Cameron. Sir Charles Cameron (1830-1921) was born in Dublin, the son of a Scottish army officer and Irish mother. Cameron first worked in the laboratories of the apothecaries Bewley & Evans, before studying medicine in Dublin and Germany. He had a number of hospital and teaching appointments including Professor of Hygiene and Political Medicine (1867-1920) and Chemistry (1875-1920) both in Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, of which institution he was also President. Best known for his contributions to hygiene and public health, Cameron was the first public analyst for Dublin (1862-1921). He used the powers granted under the Adulteration of Foods Act (1860) to close unhygenic slaughter houses and condemn diseases/unsound food. He was also Dublin's Medical Officer of Health (1874), medical superintendent officer of health (1879), and chief sanitary officer (1881). He was responsible for numerous reforms in public health administration, especially in the provision of public housing. He understood the importance of adequate sanitation and undertook measures to improve the water supply and drainage, introduced widespread sanitary inspections, provided free disinfectant, and trained female sanitary officers to educate the poor in domestic hygiene. During this time the death rate from infectious diseases in the capital declined from 9 per 1,000 in 1879 to 1.3 per 1,000 in 1919.

1908-1911

Papers of the Dublin Biological Club including a full set of minutes books from 1872 to 1974, with a run of attendance books covering the period 1878 to 1964. Collection also contains a small number of other records including members roll, club rules, secretary's reports and a short history of the club written by its members.

1872-1965

A small collection of paper which belonged to Edward Hill, including family papers, letters and invitation cards, papers relating to his education and the School of Physic Act (1800), as well as some notebooks.

1732-1854

Collection is partially catalogued, series on Advocacy and Information, Communication, Counselling, Education and Training, Facilities and Objects are catalogued and available to view. Please contact [email protected] about uncatalogued material.

[1950-2019]

Papers of Dr Eoin O'Brien relating to his extensive research into Sir Dominic Corrigan, and O'Brien's biography of Corrigan Conscience and Conflict. A Biography of Sir Dominic Corrigan, published in 1983. Collection includes a number of articles written by O'Brien, and others, on Corrigan, correspondence and newspaper cutting relating to the research and publication of O'Brien's biography, and draft scripts for proposed TV and radio productions. The collection also contains some papers relating to Michael Beresford Corrigan, a doctor who died in America in 1919 and claimed to be a son of Sir Dominic.

c.1860-1997

A collection of nineteenth century medical illustrations and photographs, mainly showing cases of skin diseases, but also including some other conditions and some surgical illustrations.

Nineteenth century

Papers of the Dublin Branch of the British Medical Association, including minutes, membership and financial papers and reports. Also a small number of records relating to the BMA visit to Dublin in 1933 and an exhibition held in Trinity in 1952.

1877-1958

The Living Medical History Project was initiated by the History of Medicine Section of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland in 2012. The project seeks to record the unique memories of medical practitioners who have worked in Ireland over the last seventy years. The project consists of interviews with ten medical practitioners representing a cross-section of medical fields and specialties. Seven of the interviewees hail from the Republic of Ireland, and three from Northern Ireland. Interviews were conducted by Susan Mullaney, Honorary Secretary of the History of Medicine Section of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland, and by Ida Milne, a member of the Oral History Network of Ireland, in 2012 and 2013. In addition to audio recordings, transcripts of the interviews were produced. The audio recordings will be withheld for ten years, while the transcripts (which have been edited where appropriate) are available to consult in the Heritage Centre of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland. Throughout their working lives, doctors have accumulated a vast knowledge of professional practice. This project records their unique memories to help others learn from the past, and to document the enormous changes that have taken place during their lifetimes. The testimony of the ten interviewees provides a unique insight into a type of practice that has all but disappeared. They worked with diseases that are no longer common, such as polio and tuberculosis, and in an environment that did not have MRI scanners, CT scanners, or in some cases, access to antibiotics. The interviews also sheds light on changes that occurred in individual specialties over the last seventy years, the many advances in medical treatment, medical training, the experiences of medics in the Second World War, and the family and social lives of medics.

2012-2013

The collection contains administrative, financial and patient records relating to the hospital from its foundation in 1800 to its closure in 1986. There is also a large collection of photographs, as well as a small collection of ephemera and objects relating to the hospitals history. One of the largest sections in the collection relate to the hospitals administration, it contains the hospital's annual reports, the board of governors' minute and agenda books, the minutes of several of the hospital's smaller committees, and legal documents relating to the establishment and management of the hospital. These provide an invaluable insight into the administration and management of the hospital, and its developments over time. This information is supported by the surviving correspondence files, dating from the 1890s-1930s and 1960s-1980s, which provide very detailed information on aspects of hospital management. There is a small collection of financial records, including accounts from the building of the hospital in the early 1800s. There is also a large group of architectural plans showing the alterations and improvements made to the hospital from the 1930s, as well as plans for large scale building projects that were never undertaken. The collection also contains a large amount of material relating to the hospital's patients. These include patient registers, case books, operations registers and post mortem records. Most of these records date from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Because of the sensitive personal information contained within some of these records special permission needs to be obtained to view records under 100 years old. For full details of access rules see the Heritage Centre Access Guidelines. The final portion of the collection contains ephemera, photographs and objects relating to the history of the hospital. These include a series of photographs of the resident staff and hospital rugby teams from the 1880 to 1950s, a set of medical stereoscopic slide and manuscript and printed documents relating to the hospital's history.

c.1800-1990

Sir Dominic Corrigan Papers and other items in case, covering his medical and political careers including his involvement in reforming medical legislation and the education system in Ireland. The collection also contains a small number of the personal papers of Sir Dominic Corrigan as well as members of his family, most notably his daughter Lady Mary Martin.

1795-[1940s]

This collection contains visual materials in a number of formats collected by the College overtime, the collections includes prints, drawings and photographs which originally formed part of the Kirkpatrick Bequest. The majority of the material in the collection is of medical subjects or individuals generally with an Irish slant, however there are some items particularly in the prints, and photographs section which relate to Irish history and literature.

Seventeenth century -

Small collection of documentation and ephemeral items belonging to and collected by Dr Matthew Russell, Dublin City Medical Officer of Health, and his wife Dr Angela Russell (nee Coyne). Documents focus on Dr Matthew Russells' career as the Assistant Medical Officer of Health, Medical Officer of South City No, 2 Dispensary District, Port Medical Officer of Health and the Medical Officer of Health. There is a minor focus on his personal interests, such as the Nationalist Movement and his death. Doctor Angela Russell's education and personal interests are also represented in the collection. There is a strong focus on her charity and social welfare work and her role as an advocate for women's and Children's health. This is represented in publications and photographs. Finally, the collection contains two files relating to Sir Charles Cameron and Lady Aberdeen.

c.1895-1991

Loading indicator
Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2026