search collection
browse collection Up

RCPI - Royal College of Physicians of Ireland

Object Type: Folder
In root of archive


This section contains papers relating to the building, repair, restoration and renovation of Number Six Kildare Street. Number 6 was bought by the College in 1860 from the Kildare Street Club, shortly after it was purchased the building burnt down and the College was able to commission their own design. William Murray's design won the competition and the building was completed in 1864, financed by the insurance money and debentures from members. By the 1870s it was clear that facilities within the building were not meeting the College's needs and the Racquet Hall at the rear of the site which had survived the fire and been let back to the Kildare Street Club was renovated and brought into the main building. Several important restoration and renovation projects have taken place since the 1870s notable the renovation of the facade in the 1960s and the redevelopment of the basement level in the 1980s. Between 2003 and 2006 extensive renovations of the entire building were undertaken.


This section contains the papers relating to the governing statutes of the College. The College was founded by Royal Charter in 1667, a second charter was granted in 1692 at which point the 1667 Charter was surrendered, although the text survives in Dun's Book, the 1692 Charter remains in force although it has been modified several times. As well as the Charter the College was governed by a series of by-laws and resolutions which make small changes to College practices under the Charter. The College's activities were overseen by a Court of Visitors who can advise or investigate the College as the need arises.


Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2024